Friday, September 26, 2008

PROgress

Disclaimer: Although the following post does not support this, I am not racist. I just felt like experimenting with satire so here is my attempt.

I would like to say that the south has truly progressed in light of racism but the fact of the matter is that we have not. Really. Well, I actually will agree that we have progressed but only because before colored people were slaves and less-than-human and now they are just looked down upon and treated disrespectfully.
This, obviously, is a major generalization, but you really cannot say anything without generalizing so just keep in mind that I know there are exceptions.
Now, I cannot say that we have not progressed, because there is no more slavery, and there are many many black people (if 'black people' offends you, insert 'African American' or something of the likes) that are very very successful; however, those make up the minority (ha-ha, pun). The truth is that even though black people have come a long way, they have not come all the way; and meanwhile, white people have also come a long way - whatever that means. The real problem is history itself, as long as we learn about history, especially the civil war, whites and blacks will not get along- especially in the south. This is because many people’s families were affected by slavery, and apparently still are. The pain passed down from their ancestors has led the race to despise the other. It is actually quite humorous how we are taught to love everyone and ‘do unto others as you would have others do unto you’ but when faced with a situation calling for racial differences to be overcome, everybody hears the usual: “just be careful sweetie” (in different variations of course). This difference between progressing inner-city fellows and conceited white-folk results into debates on how the south has really progressed and how the depth of racism has sifted itself out to create and equal and balanced society.

-More to come because I like satire and I would like to get better at it (so I know this needs a lot of editing but I just wanted to get my essential point across). I am sorry if this offended anyone. That was not the intention at all (which is paradoxical because that is usually the driving force of satire).

No comments: